Marshall Bluestone Cottage Community Group is open to consultation and discussion about adjustments to the details of this Proposal and remains flexible to reach a successful outcome to conserve this heritage place.
On 9th December 2020 the Marshall Bluestone Cottage Community Group was formed. The Group has engaged with the community to conserve the 1866 house and outbuilding, presently located at the south-east corner of the intersection of Tannery and Barwon Heads Roads, known as 8a Tannery Road, or 375 Barwon Heads Road.
The Group’s objective is to save, relocate and repurpose the two heritage buildings as community assets to be open to the public for multiple purposes.
Future site – see map in Attachment 1
It is proposed that the future location for these buildings is within the J F Field Marshall Park at the same intersection on the diagonally opposite north-west corner.
The J F Field public parkland was gifted to the public, and is now a community precinct with tennis court and playground. There are no public conveniences at the park.
The Park has the space to accommodate these buildings.
It is proposed that the Cottage be named Marshall Town History House, and the associated outhouse be repurposed as a separate convenience block for park and cottage users.
- the heritage importance of these buildings has been established by meeting the significance criteria in three studies giving credence to this proposal
- the Cottage is a well known local landmark with high visibility and relocation at the same intersection is appropriate
- Marshall was an historic district in the story of Geelong’s prosperity relating to the wool industry
- Marshall’s former existence is disappearing, the school, post office, hotel and church have gone
- the Cottage is a surviving place from Marshall’s past which can have a useful future
- the Cottage was built by the McAteer family who were significant in Marshall’s history
- the Cottage is the only surviving intact bluestone farm cottage in the Marshall area, and one of only two in City of Greater Geelong Kardinia Ward, the other being privately owned
Future use (charges for the hire for all the following uses to be determined by Management)
- Marshall Town History House can become a City of Greater Geelong tourist information centre, and a destination for visitors coming from south of the City via the Great Ocean Road and the Queenscliff ferry via Barwon Heads.
- It can provide a social engagement venue for the local community, as a place that can be booked by groups such as a Playgroup, History Group or Gardening Club, or other community groups that need a meeting room. Presently there is no facility like this for local activities in Marshall.
- A modest kitchen can provide facilities for light refreshments and catering purposes, for local groups and a coffee shop for visitors.
- The building can become the repository for a collection of material from Marshall’s history such as maps, family histories, industrial history, and become a museum/history hub informing visitors about the rich history of the Marshall area, and also tell the story of settlement of German Town.
- Marshall Town History House can be open to the public at regular advertised times, or at any times for visitor group bookings to view and be given guidance about the Collection.
Precedent example Schramm’s Cottage – see Attachment 2
When Doncaster Road was to be widened, Schramm’s Cottage, a sandstone building, was dismantled and relocated.
- It is proposed that the costs of carefully dismantling, relocating and reconstructing (according to best practice conservation principles), the two buildings be borne by Major Road Projects Victoria
- Cost of reconstructing the buildings to make them suitable for public use, can be an alternative to the outlay of funds for the MRPV proposal of a ‘Heritage Interpretation Trail’ in the Park.
- Initial dismantling is required within a short time frame; the project completion may be undertaken over a longer time frame like Schramms Cottage.
Future management / maintenance OPTIONS
- It is proposed that the City of Greater Geelong would be the overall Manager of the buildings that are on public land, and undertake maintenance, and take bookings for the use of Marshall Town History House, as is the case for other locally owned public places.
- Alternatively a local Community Group become a volunteer Committee of Management and the City of Greater Geelong delegate arrangements to this Committee for managing Marshall Town History House
The J F Field public parkland is owned by the City of Greater Geelong. It is proposed that as many large trees as possible, including the two large cypress trees, are conserved.
The cottage is rotated about 180 degrees around the intersection to keep the original cottage perspectives similar. The building faces Barwon Heads Road and maintains a high visibility at the same intersection. This proposed positioning can be subject to adjustment.
The outbuilding has been moved closer to the cottage, which is positioned where the melaleucas are now. It is rotated 180 degrees in relation to the house, and is proposed as a convenience block. With repositioning, a courtyard could be created between the outbuilding and the tennis court.
A precedent example: SCHRAMM’S COTTAGE
Rischiecks Reserve, Muriel Green Drive Doncaster
When Doncaster Road was to be widened, this sandstone building was dismantled and relocated.
Schramm’s Cottage was threatened with demolition for the widening of Doncaster Road but community outcry resulted in the cottage being dismantled and re-erected on its current site in 1972-1975 for future use as a folk museum. It was officially opened on 14th February 1975.
The project was completed with the help of the City of Doncaster and Templestowe.
|Schramms Cottage is an asymmetrical cottage, built of local sandstone with a hip slate roof. It was built in 1875 for use as a house.||Marshall bluestone cottage is a symmetrical cottage built of local bluestone with a hip slate roof. It was built in 1866 for use as a house.|
|Schramms Cottage is of historical importance due to its association with Mr. Max von Schramm a German immigrant who played a vital role in the development of Doncaster and was a respected resident for more than 30 years.||Marshall bluestone cottage is of historical importance due to its association with the McAteer family, Irish immigrants prominent in the Marshall Town district from the 1860s for fifty years. They built and lived in the cottage, and found long term employment in industries related to wool processing, such as fellmongery and leather production, which prospered along the Barwon River due to the abundance of wattle bark with high levels of tannin, and the ample fresh water available. From 1886 to 1890 Margaret McAteer was Marshall Town Postmistress, and her mother Catherine McAteer held that position from 1890 to 1896.|
Schramm’s Cottage is owned by Manningham City Council and run by a Community History Group Committee of Management.
More information about the McAteer family can be found at
Other examples of relocated buildings can be seen at https://marshallbluestonecottage.org/solutions/