Examples of relocated/reconstructed masonry structures.
Compiled by Geoff Winkler, 17 February 2021
St James’ Old Cathedral
Constructed c 1839-1847. Cnr Collins &
Williams Streets, Melbourne
Relocated 1913-1914 to Cnr King & Batman Streets, West Melbourne
Constructed c1755. Great Ayton, UK.
(Right/Southern portion demolished due to road widening c1929)
Relocated c1934 to Fitzroy Gardens, East Melbourne.
Sladen House, Newtown (rebuilt on same site)
Constructed c1849-1850. 410 Pakington St, Newtown. (Demolished 1940).
Reconstructed post 1940.
Former Pakington St Methodist Parsonage
Constructed c1870s. 125 Pakington Street, Geelong West.
Relocated c1970s to 39 Blackall Rd, Batesford
Dunvegan cottage, Melton
Constructed c1870 in Smith Street Melton, behind the Golden Fleece Hotel, (now Bakery Square). It also housed the town’s first Police Station.
Relocated in 1977 to The Willows Historical Park, 68-74 Reserve Road, Melton. It is now operated as a function venue by the City of Melton.
Of particular note is that it was subsequently regarded to have sufficiently maintained enough integrity, to warrant a Heritage Overlay; view it here
Schramms cottage, Doncaster
Constructed 1874, Doncaster Hill, Doncaster.
Relocated 1971-1975 to Victoria Street
St. Johns Roman Catholic Church
Constructed 1858, Cnr Loundes & Steiglitz roads, Sutherlands Creek.
Relocated 1986 to Deakin University, Waurn Ponds.
Uniting Church, Highton. (Rebuilt in-situ after destruction by tornado)
Constructed 1868. Cnr Scenic and Barrabool roads, Highton. (Wrecked 1926).
Ashby Methodist Chapel
Constructed 1858 as Ashby Methodist Chapel, Wellington street, Geelong West. Extended in 1868.
Relocated to Bostock Avenue in Manifold Heights, as Ashby Methodist Church, in 1939. Subsequently became a Mosque for the Islamic Society of Geelong. Destroyed by fire c2016 and again rebuilt.
Bluestone entry gates, Osborne House & Morongo
As part of a scheme to widen the Melbourne Road, the bluestone gates to Osborne House were relocated approximately 10 metres north-east from their original position by the Corio Shire Council in 1928-29.
As part of the scheme to widen Ballarat Road, the bluestone gates at Kardinia International College, (formerly Morongo), Ballarat Road, Bell Post Hill, were moved in 2004 a short distance in a northerly Direction.